Our website is user-supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. Learn more >
Dealing with hair clogs in your bathtub drain can be a frustrating and annoying experience, hindering proper drainage and cleanliness in your bathroom.
If you’re wondering how to effectively clear hair from your bathtub drain, this comprehensive guide provides detailed solutions to address the issue and offers preventative tips for the future.
5 Effective Ways to Get Hair Out of Bathtub Drain
Hair accumulation is a common cause of bathtub drain clogs. During showers, loose hair often combines with soap scum and other particles, forming clumps that obstruct the flow of water through the drain. It’s essential to address this problem promptly to maintain a properly functioning drain and prevent further complications.
Hair clogs not only slow down the draining process but can also lead to unpleasant odors and unhygienic conditions. Additionally, if left unattended, hair clogs can escalate into more severe plumbing problems that may require professional assistance, resulting in costly repairs.
Here are some effective ways to get rid of hair out of bathtub drains:
1. Manual Removal with a Drain Snake
One of the most effective ways to remove hair from a bathtub drain is by using a drain snake or auger. A drain snake is a flexible auger that can maneuver through the twists and turns of the drain, allowing you to physically extract the hair clog.
Steps to Use a Drain Snake:
- Step 1: Purchase a drain snake appropriate for your drain’s size.
- Step 2: Insert the snake into the drain until you feel resistance, which indicates the hair clog.
- Step 3: Rotate the snake, hooking onto the hair.
- Step 4: Slowly pull out the snake, bringing the hair with it.
A drain snake is a handy tool that provides a cost-effective and eco-friendly way to clear hair clogs from your bathtub drain.
2. Chemical Drain Cleaners
For stubborn clogs, chemical drain cleaners can prove highly effective. These cleaners contain strong chemicals that can dissolve hair and other organic matter obstructing the drain.
Steps to Use Chemical Drain Cleaners:
- Step 1: Choose a reputable chemical drain cleaner suitable for hair clogs.
- Step 2: Read and follow the instructions and safety precautions on the product label.
- Step 3: Pour the recommended amount of the cleaner down the drain.
- Step 4: Allow the cleaner to work for the specified time.
- Step 5: Flush the drain with water to clear the clog.
When using chemical drain cleaners, ensure you follow safety guidelines, including wearing protective gear and providing adequate ventilation in the area.
3. Baking Soda and Vinegar
A natural and safe solution to remove hair clogs involves using baking soda and vinegar. This method is both eco-friendly and readily available in most households.
Steps to Use Baking Soda and Vinegar:
- Step 1: Pour a cup of baking soda down the drain.
- Step 2: Follow it with a cup of vinegar.
- Step 3: Let the mixture fizz and work its way through the hair and debris.
- Step 4: After about 30 minutes, flush the drain with hot water to clear the dissolved hair and residue.
Baking soda and vinegar not only dissolve hair but also help neutralize odors and leave your drain smelling fresh.
4. Plunge the Drain
Using a plunger is a classic technique to dislodge hair clogs. It’s a simple and effective method that involves creating pressure to dislodge the obstruction.
Steps to Plunge the Drain:
- Step 1: Fill the bathtub with enough water to cover the plunger’s bell.
- Step 2: Place the plunger over the drain and press down firmly.
- Step 3: Pump the plunger vigorously for about 20-30 seconds.
- Step 4: Repeat if necessary, then run water to check if the clog is cleared.
Using a plunger is a cost-effective solution that requires minimal equipment and can be used for various drain clogs.
5. Professional Plumbing Assistance
If all else fails or if you’re uncomfortable tackling the issue yourself, seeking help from a professional plumber is a wise decision. Plumbers have the expertise and specialized tools to effectively clear stubborn hair clogs and ensure proper drainage.
Steps to Seek Professional Plumbing Assistance:
- Step 1: Research and select a reputable plumbing service in your area.
- Step 2: Contact the plumbing service and explain the issue with your bathtub drain.
- Step 3: Schedule a visit from the plumber to inspect and fix the problem.
Professional plumbers can provide a thorough assessment of your plumbing system and offer tailored solutions to prevent future clogs.
Tips to Prevent Recurrence
Preventing hair clogs in your bathtub drain is crucial to maintain a functional and clean plumbing system. Implement these preventive tips to minimize the risk of hair accumulation and future clogs.
1. Regular Use of Drain Covers
Regularly using drain covers or hair catchers in your bathtub can effectively prevent hair from going down the drain and causing clogs.
Recommendation: Purchase a quality drain cover that fits well over your bathtub drain.
2. Weekly Maintenance with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Once a week, follow the baking soda and vinegar method to keep your drain clear of any potential hair build-up.
Recommendation: Set a specific day each week for this maintenance routine, ensuring consistent prevention.
3. Brush Hair Before Showering
Encourage everyone in your household to brush their hair before showering to minimize the amount of hair that ends up in the drain.
Recommendation: Place a hairbrush near the shower as a reminder for everyone to brush their hair.
4. Monthly Plumbing Checks
Perform a monthly check on your drains, identifying and removing any visible hair or debris to prevent major clogs from forming.
Recommendation: Use a flashlight to inspect the drain and ensure there’s no hair accumulation.
5. Regular Professional Drain Cleaning
Consider scheduling a professional drain cleaning every few months to ensure the drain is in optimal condition and free from hair clogs.
Recommendation: Mark the dates for professional drain cleanings on your calendar to ensure you don’t miss them.
Clearing hair clogs from your bathtub drain is a manageable task when employing effective solutions like manual removal with a drain snake, using chemical drain cleaners, employing baking soda and vinegar, plunging the drain, or seeking professional plumbing assistance.
To prevent future clogs, integrate routine maintenance, utilize drain covers, brush hair before showering, and conduct regular plumbing checks.
By proactively addressing hair clogs and implementing preventive measures, you can maintain a clear and smoothly flowing bathtub drain, ensuring a hassle-free and hygienic bathing experience.