Our website is user-supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. Learn more >
Dealing with a clogged shower drain due to the accumulation of hair is a common household issue. The shower drain is particularly prone to hair clogs because, during showers, loose hair gets washed down the drain and can accumulate over time.
If you’re facing this problem and want to find effective ways to dissolve and clear hair clogs in your shower drain, this article provides a detailed guide to tackle the issue and prevent it from recurring.
5 Effective Ways to Dissolve Hair in Shower Drain
Hair, when combined with soap scum, shampoo residues, and other bathroom products, can create a tough and stubborn clog in your shower drain.
As the hair accumulates, it forms a web-like structure that slows down or completely blocks the water flow through the drain. This can be an annoying and unsightly problem, but thankfully, there are several effective solutions to dissolve hair and clear your drain.
1. Baking Soda and Vinegar
A common and natural solution for dissolving hair clogs in a shower drain involves using a combination of baking soda and vinegar. This method is effective and environmentally friendly. Here’s how to do it:
- Start by pouring a cup of baking soda down the drain.
- Follow it with a cup of vinegar.
- Allow the mixture to fizz and work its way through the hair and debris.
- After about 30 minutes, flush the drain with hot water to clear the dissolved hair and residue.
2. Chemical Drain Cleaners
For more stubborn clogs, you might need the help of a chemical drain cleaner. These products are specifically designed to dissolve hair and other organic matter. However, exercise caution and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. These cleaners are strong and can cause harm if not used properly.
3. Plumbing Snake or Auger
A plumbing snake or auger is a physical tool that can be highly effective in removing hair and debris from a drain. The snake has a coiled wire that can be inserted into the drain to break up and pull out the hair. Here’s how to use it:
- Insert the snake into the drain and rotate it to catch the hair.
- Slowly pull out the snake, bringing the hair with it.
This manual approach can be particularly useful for stubborn clogs that other methods may not fully clear.
4. Enzyme-based Drain Cleaners
If you prefer a less harsh option than chemical drain cleaners, enzyme-based drain cleaners are a good choice. These cleaners use natural enzymes to break down organic matter, including hair. Follow the instructions on the product for best results and repeat the process if necessary.
5. Hot Water and Dish Soap
A simple and readily available household remedy involves using hot water and dish soap. Here’s how you can do it:
- Heat water to a near-boiling temperature.
- Mix it with a generous amount of dish soap.
- Pour the mixture down the drain.
- The hot water loosens the hair, and the soap helps break it down for easier flushing.
Tips to Prevent Recurrence Of Hair Clogs
- Regular Maintenance: Make it a routine to clean your shower drain regularly using a hair catcher or drain strainer to prevent hair from going down the drain in the first place.
- Install a Drain Cover: Invest in a drain cover or hair catcher that fits over the drain to trap hair and prevent it from entering the pipes.
- Flush with Hot Water: Once a week, pour a pot of boiling water down the drain to help clear away any hair and soap residue.
- Brush Hair Before Showering: Before showering, take a few moments to brush your hair to reduce the amount of hair that ends up in the drain during washing.
- Professional Maintenance: Consider scheduling periodic professional drain cleaning to prevent hair accumulation and other blockages. Professionals can use specialized tools and techniques to thoroughly clear the drain and ensure it’s in good working condition.
These detailed and effective solutions can quickly dissolve hair in your shower drain and restore your bathroom to its optimal working condition.
Always implement the preventive measures provided, so you can maintain a clog-free and smoothly flowing drain in your bathroom, saving you from the inconvenience and hassle of dealing with stubborn clogs.